Saturday, July 4, 2009

Free form newspaper advertising


While reading Ed Henninger's blog, he recently posted a newspage submission that featured a free form ad on it. It was very well done. As I was browsing through my on-line portfolio today, I found a page with a similar concept of free form advertising that I had done in January. This is the result. I like it, but it was hard to work the text around. I had to pick and choose the articles that would flow nicely around the odd shape, and redesign some of the regular features that are normaly in a big box on the page, or are over 2 col wide. I would expect that the every day joe in the newsroom that's doing his own pages wouldn't know how to proceed with such a puzzle.
I liked this effort. I don't think I'd like to see this sort of thing everday in my daily community paper.