Monday, May 16, 2011

different photography styles



I recently took a "Chimpsy" photography class In Indianapolis that emphasized the power of "Thirds". I had realized this long before this class, but here's a perfect example.
Notice the picture of Jim and the boys. This is how I take a picture. tight framing of the faces, off center, something in the background that gives you an idea of what is going on in the picture.

Now look at the picture of me and the boys. This is habitually how Jim takes snapshots. me, the kids, centered, usually too much leg, and thankfully, I've kept him from cutting off my head entirely. Not a bad snapshot, but just an example of centering your subject. Not as interesting or pleasing to the eye as the other photo.

Jim knows I give him a hard time about cutting off my head when he's taking pictures of me and the boys, he's done it for years. I think I've finally broke him of it.

No comments: