Monday, April 19, 2010

Unusual Italian Box


I'm trying to find out more about this ceramic box that my mother gave me. She picked it up at an estate auction. The faces on the front seem very picasso like, but I don't think it is a 'picasso'. The bottom is marked Italy in raised letters. The dimensions of the box are roughly 5" wide, but 7" long and about 2" deep. The lid is ill fitting, it cups upward away from the box, but it is made of the same material as the box, the glaze is identical.
Material of the clay used seems to be a light terracotta- some what golden. covered in a matte brown glaze, then there seems to be an overlay glaze that is yellowish-clear and is all mottled and bubbled.
The faces were applied prior to the bubbled glaze, so they were done by the original artist, not added later. in the lower right corner of the lid, there seems to be a signature of sorts. All I can make out might be a 'CH'- but this is open to interpretation.

This lid has been broken and glued back together, but the box itself is intact.

All right super sleuths. Let me know what you find out.

No comments: