Friday, April 9, 2010

the en-ferrou gown

one of my favorite 'everyday gowns' for re enactments. Goes on nice, easy to keep on too! I'll have to get a pic of it on a body so you can see how the back pleats make the fit. Especially over the rump!


This is an en-ferrou gown drafted from the lavender silk example found in costume close up. Gown #3, english style polonaise. I have made it out of a figured cotton, or a "diminity" with no trim to be a more simple working gown. This fabric takes a dye excellently and had thought to dye it a soft blue. Hand stitched except for back pleats. I should have done those by hand too for a better look.
Most of my gowns are quick mock-ups of my master patterns, just to be sure of the sizeing when pattern drafting, and to make sure of the 'sew-ability' of the pattern. Let's face it, no one wants to invest in a custom pattern, only to find out that the damn thing won't fit after spending countless hours sewing it... that would be only too frustrating!

No comments: