Friday, April 18, 2008

Earthquake in central Indiana/Illinois

INDIANA - At 5:38 a.m. Central Indiana Time, a 5.2 magnitude earthquake centering out of South East Illinois was felt in cities such as: Chicago, IL, Indianapolis, Lafayette, Crawfordsville, Bloomington, Symour, IN, and Louisville, KY to name a few.

visit:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Maps/US2/38.40.-89.-87.php
To see a map of the event and for a full report from the U.S. Geological Survey.

In Crawfordsville we were awaken by the sound of the house vibrating. I thought a large helicopter was landing in the front yard. My husband, Jim, thought there was a large storm or thunder moving over the house... the only other option was a tornado- but there was no wind when we arrived at the side door. Small vibrations of glassware and the odd sensation of the 'washer on spin cycle' effect- is the only way I can describe the feeling.

I can only imagine that my Friend, John, In Arkansas is lamenting his choice of living establishments at this time. One of his greatest complaints of moving to Jonesboro was the fault line there, and the worry that their brick home would end in rubble. Let's hope they are in one piece!
__________________________________

UPDATE!

INDIANA- Aftershock tremor felt in Crawfordsville at 11:19 AM Central Indiana Time

1 comment:

The Oracle said...

Sound like you had all the excitement. We knew nothing about it until we turned on the TV at 6:40 a.m. to check the local news and weather. We slept right through it.
I have to admit, I'm a bit disappointed to have missed a 5.2 magnitude quake.
I'm sure if it had been the Big One, it would have shaken us awake.
Now you have me wondering if it cracked any plaster in our Thorntown house.