Friday, January 8, 2010

Making your own screenprinting devices


I've been toying with the idea of creating my own screenprints for a while now. I was a silkscreen press operator for over a year at a local industry that printed UV curable inks on plastic and vinyl substrates. I guess I kind of fell in love with the process there... but in a "I want to do it just some of the time...." kind of way.
Surfing the web, I came across this site
Instructables
Which has a very basic, but usable instruction guide to makeing your own silkscreens. I think the hardest part of the job will be to find the photosensative "GOO" that they mention- this stuff goes on screen to create a 'blocker' that doesn't allow ink to penatrate onto the item you're printing. When you put a negative image on the screen with this "GOO" on it, then expose it to light, only the image area will allow the inks to penetrate... very important unless you are printing squares.

No comments: